- American Bookseller Pick of the Lists
- NCSS_CBC Notable Children’s Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies
- IRA-CBC Children’s Choice
- Learning Choice
- Library of Congress Books for Children
- Child Study Assocation Children’s Books of the Year
- The Horn Book Fanfare Honor List
BUY THE BOOK
Like the bold knights in his fantasies, eleven-year-old Park is on a quest: He wants to learn about his father, who died in Vietnam. Not only has he no memory of his father, his mother won’t discuss him. But when Park’s search for family roots finally takes him to his grandfather’s farm in rural Virginia, he encounters obstacles beyond his imagining.
For instead of being welcomed as the long lost heir, he is taunted by a sassy little foreigner, Thanh. Who is she and what is she doing on the family farm? Worse, how dare she challenge him Parkington Waddell Broughton the Fifth. Park must reconcile unsettling revelations about his parents, his uncle and sick grandfather, and especially about Thanh, before discovering the truth he has sought.